Old Suraj Dewad - Songadh
The Old Suraj Dewad temple is one of the most
ancient pilgrim places of the Hindus in Gujarat.
The temple is dedicated to God Surya (Sun God).
Located 4 kms away from Than over a hill, the
temple is one of the finest examples of Indian
Temple Architecture. Renovated in the year 1932,
the temple has lost the intricacies of the sculptural
art but the devotion with which the temple is
visited everyday has never changed.
The Gabinath caves situated near Suraj Dewad at
Songadh also holds religious importance. Saint
Gabinath was supposedly to have performed his
penance in these caves.
Saurashtra was once called the Pataad Pradesh
reigned b the Snake Worshippers. The Vasuki Mandir
is situated in Than. Small miniature shrines dedicated
to the Snake -God have been built in Surendranagar
and the adjoining place. Vasuki-Bhandiyabeli,
Chandra Lipya-Shapar-Nagadka are the important
ones. Vasuki Takshak - Shesh was the chief of
the Naga-Sarp ancestory and Vasuki was the ancestral
god of the royal Lakthar family of Than. The Snake
worship became prevalent ever since then and related
rituals are performed to this day.
Bawa nu Mandir.
A small temple located between Chotila and than
stands on a hill between Chotila and Than. Although
the Shivalaya is partly damaged the temple has
been visited by devotees ever since it was built
in the 10th century.
Built in the 15th Century the Jariya Mahadev temple
stand surrounded by scenic beauty. The temple
is constructed in a distance downwards about 8
kms between Chotila and Than. The temple got its
name because of the miraculous water which naturally
flows from the stone above the Shivling of Lord
Shiva in this temple round the year.
Thousands of pilgrims visit the temple to worship
and give away offerings to lord Shiva. The temple
is also known as the Tapkeshwar Mandir. The Analgadh
Fort admist the Mandawan forest, a few miles away
from Jariya Mahadev has witnessed the war between
the British Police and the Namori tribes of Bharvatiya.
It was a hiding place for the looters and the
Britishers hence demolished a major part of the
The New Suraj Dewad Temple
The New Suraj Dewad built in 1991 is visited by
a lot of pilgrims everyday. Although the temple
has been built in the recent times it yet captures
the total spirit of the glorious heritage of Gujarat.
The Awaliya Temple is a Vishnu temple dedicated to
'Thakorji" stands on a plinth of a hill between
Than and Chotila. This place has been the native of
a well known tribe of Gujarat called the 'Bharwads'(shepherds).
Group Marriages of their race are held at the Awaliya
Thakkar temple. The temple became popular due to a
small stream of water, which continually flows from
Sundari Bhawani Temple
A legend related to the Sundari Bhawani Temple relates
that the temple was named after the Sea Goddess who
took birth from the Sea. Sundari Bhawani, the ancestral
Goddess of the Kandolia Brahmins, Sorathia's, Visha
Sorathia's and Kopal Vanik also happens to be the
worshipped Goddess of Sailors and Vessel Owners in
The incarnation of the Pandavas adorns the temple
wall while a stream of water flowing from the floor
of the temple has been attracting visitors over the
years. The temple is surrounded by thick foliage.
Shri Bhumanand has generously contributed to popularize
the temple and wished to open an educational institute
here but his death left the mission unaccomplished.
The Jagathit Ashram Trustees have made special arrangements
for the tourists visiting this holy place. The Kaneshwar
Mandir is built in the plot of the Sundari Bhawani
Sapta Matruka - Bhet
The statue of the deity Sapta-Matruka is placed in
the Mudi Taluka about 7-8 kms away from the Sundari
Thang Nath Mahadev
The Thanganath Temple is built on the peak of the
Thanganath Mountain. The temple is 7-8 kms away from
Chotila. A large number of local tribes visit to place
to attend the annual fair held during the Shravan
Chamunda Mata - Chotila
A temple dedicated to Goddess Chamunda is built on
a hill called chotila at a height of 1,173 feet. The
temple is crowded with tourists and pilgrims all round
the year specially during the Navratri Festival. The
Chotila village is sited at the foot of the Chotila
Virji Bhagat's Place - Chotila
Sayala's Lalji Bhagat, Virpur;s Jalaram Bapa and Chotila's
Virji Bhagat have been the renowned and religious
souls of Gujarat. Virji Bhagat was born in the Bhalada
region in the year 1876. Bhoj Khachar belonging to
the Darbar race had great faith in Virji Bhagat's
preachings. He had also offered a piece of land to
Virji Bhagat where the temple was later built in 1925.
Bhimgufa - Bhomora
Bhimora is situated on the way to Anandour near the
Piyawa village about 12 kms from Chotila. The village
was built by Nana Khachar. The Bhimora Fort acquired
an important place in the history of the Panchal region.
The Bhimgufa cave situated near Bhimora depicts the
images of Buddha sculpture. The care is believed to
be in existence since the 14th century AD. Mudras
made of mud belonging the Buddha culture haven been
discovered along with a new cave with relics of the
Chaumukhi Wav -Chobari
Chaumukhi Wav (four faced well) is situated at the
Chobari village about 12 kms between Anandpur and
Bhalda. Beautiful inscriptions describing the history
of the Chobari village is carved on the wall in the
well. The Rajput and Loghul history is also associated
with the village. A remarkable temple belonging to
the Sonalki Dynasty adds to the historic value of
the Chobari village.
Panchayatan Temple - Parabdi
About 1-2 kms away from the Chobari village is the
Parabdi village known for a Shivalaya built in the
13th century. A lot of small temples were built around
the Shivalaya which have been destroyed over the years
but the remnants of which can be seen to this day
between Chobari and Parabdi. A huge city is believed
to have once existed here.
Anateshwar Mahadev - (Anandpur-Bhalada)
Anandpur is situated at the fort of the Thanga Hill.
A 11th century Shivalay exists here. A tribe known
as Charans believe that Snant Chudasam has built the
temple in 1068. The wealth of the temple was attacked
by numerous raiders. It was Mohammed of Ghazni who
destroyed the temple. After the rebel in 1857, the
temple rooms became a hiding place for one of the
rebellions. The temple rooms are now called the 'Brahmachari's
Residence.' The temple was renovated in the year 1857
by the Kathi Darbars.
Navlakho Mandir - Sejkpar
Sejkpar village falls between the Sayla - Dhandhalpur
villages. A remarkable architectural feature of the
Sejkpar village is a magnificent Shivalaya constructed
in an aesthetically distinctive style in the 10th
century. This Shivalaya is known as the Navlakho Mandir.
The main hall of the temple is 34 feet wide while
the rang Mandap is 45 feet broad. A few parts of the
temple is badly damaged but the sumptuous ornamentation
are still evident in the surviving portions. A huge
statue of Lord Ganesha was discovered during excavation
work in the temple premise.
The idol of Dhandhinath is place in this temple. The
Queen of Gujarat - Minaldevi had once stopped here
to worship a pious saint who gave her the blessing
to become mother of a son. The queen later conceived
a boy and was named Siddhraj in memory of the holy
saint. Siddhraj has constructed the Dhandhalpout Fort
in memory of his birth.
Vadwad Mandir - (Dhudhai-Mudi)
Dhudhai is a native of a tribe called the Rabari.
Dhundhai is located approximately 18-20 kms away from
Mudi. The Vadwad temple with three Shikhars was built
in 2003 and a large number of pilgrims come to visit
this temple. The first on the Mahants throne was late
Shri Meghswami. Purandasji Maharaj is the present
religious head of the temple.